Re: [Nolug] Trixbox - no audio on incoming calls

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:18:11 -0600

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 05:40:33 pm Dane Reugger wrote:
> Got a couple of questions that maybe somebody on this list can help me
> with.
>
> First ...
>
> I setup a Trixbox 9 month ago or so and it worked great - we just moved
> our offices and at first it didn't work at all. I eventually port
> forwarded a bunch of ports and modifying the sip_nat.conf and now it
> calls out great but on incoming calls you can't hear the caller?
>
> I think I'm got to try 1:1 Nat but I don't see how that will help - any
> better ideas?

SIP and NAT don't place nice together. The problem is that SIP only sets up
the call, it does't transfer any of the data (audio). The data goes over
another port. NAT can't figure out what ports the phones (or PBXs) decide
upon for the data, so you'll hear one side of the conversation sometimes, and
sometimes nothing.

STUN is sometimes used to get around this limitation. Another way to do so is
to use IAX if possible, but if your provider can't do IAX, well... Another
method is to route your calls through Free World Dialup.