Re: [Nolug] world ends, MySQL bought by SUN

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 07:32:08 -0600

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/16/08 22:43, Jeremy (mailing list box) wrote:
>> then Compaq being bought by HP. Sealed the fate of Tru64, VMS and the
>> Alpha platform (which I will still argue is better than anything
>> available today, except maybe the newest Power series processors from IBM).
>
> But they run *really* hot,

Yeah, and we used to say the same thing about AMD in the early days...
  You could fry eggs on the dies.

And even if they ran really hot, it was quite impressive to see a
passive heat sink sitting on the processors instead of the heatsink and
fan combos on lessor processors. Hell, if you ran an AMD chip for more
than several minutes back in the day without proper cooling, you could
kiss it goodbye.

Jeremy