archives: Cox's likely reason for going to DHCP

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:14:25 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

>4. In the unlikely event that there is a disruption in service, keep
> your cable modem connected to your PC until service is restored.

Scott, you mentioned that you were forced to use DHCP --- I'll bet that was
contingency planning in action.

NetZero? Ugh. Methinks NetZero is about to experience the slashdot effect as
applied to their dialup equipment.

Ha ha --- I'm glad I don't answer phones at Cox... I've been there and done
that once too many times (presiding over the phones at Fastband when they
switched over --- twice, mind you --- with zero notice). At least Cox is
sending this email the day before the event, and not one hour before, like
C.C. did :/

Hmm... did I just hear Fritz's hackles raise?

lol

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

Hello All,

Forgive my lurking for some time now. This thread is interesting to
me. Let me first say I am the System Engineer for the High Speed
Internet Service for Cox New Orleans. And as such I have to balance my
views and words here. And yes, I realize my mailbox will be filled up
now. But, hey, aren't we all here to help each other?

Our network has always been designed to be used via "DHCP". At various
points we have experienced issues with the @Home DHCP Servers which
caused us to statically assign the IPs on some machines. Our intention
has always been to use DHCP and going forward that is how the network
will be maintained.

And thanks to all who have shared their ideas and knowledge in the forum.

Charles Jouglard
HSI System Engineer
Cox Communications - New Orleans

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 04:43 AM, Joey Kelly wrote:

>> 4. In the unlikely event that there is a disruption in service, keep
>> your cable modem connected to your PC until service is restored.
>
> Scott, you mentioned that you were forced to use DHCP --- I'll bet that
> was
> contingency planning in action.
>
> NetZero? Ugh. Methinks NetZero is about to experience the slashdot
> effect as
> applied to their dialup equipment.
>
> Ha ha --- I'm glad I don't answer phones at Cox... I've been there and
> done
> that once too many times (presiding over the phones at Fastband when
> they
> switched over --- twice, mind you --- with zero notice). At least Cox is
> sending this email the day before the event, and not one hour before,
> like
> C.C. did :/
>
> Hmm... did I just hear Fritz's hackles raise?
>
> lol

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

dhcp by default does not force IPs to change when
the IP lease expires. You can set it to do so if
you want, but that's dumb and serves no real purpose.
If your computer is online 24/7/365 your IP on a
truly dynamic dhcp system may not change for many
months. Unless the admin forces IP rotation on the
DHCP server, of course.

At charter, residential accounts can pay an additional
monthly fee to maintain a static IP address. All we
do is reserve the static IP address to the MAC id of
the customer's network card. Perhaps when Cox
switches over from @home they'll consider offering
options like that.

Cox new orleans, to my knowledge, has been assigning
static IPs to customers for at least two years. It's
written on every work order. Sure they set up the PC
for DHCP, but the IP is reserved to the MAC id of the
user's PC. You can set up your box either statically
or with dhcp and your IP won't change the way @home
was set up in new orleans. In spite of switching to
aquiring via dhcp, my address has never changed. In
the letter I received they stated they would be
switching their dhcp server set up to assign IPs
dynamically. They may have. I don't think @home's
(not cox's) decision to do this has anything to do
with the current bankruptcy quagmire. It's just
sensible IP management.

I consider the impending death of @home a blessing in
disguise.

--- Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@home.com> wrote:

attached mail follows:

Scott Harney <scott_harney@yahoo.com> writes:

> Cox new orleans, to my knowledge, has been assigning
> static IPs to customers for at least two years. It's
> written on every work order. Sure they set up the PC
> for DHCP, but the IP is reserved to the MAC id of the
> user's PC. You can set up your box either statically
> or with dhcp and your IP won't change the way @home
> was set up in new orleans. In spite of switching to

actually the IP is reserved to the hostname of the machine. That
cx-123456 hostname that they set up on boxes. This is an @home
convention and it's a real dumb way to do it. It's a lot easier to
spoof hostnames and "steal" an IP than it is to spoof MAC id's.

Like I say, the demise of @home is ultimately a good thing.

Of course I'd like my IP to be static no matter who I'm with. But
there's workarounds if it's not. little daemon apps that watch for IP
address changes and will send you an email alert when that
occurs. They can also update dynamic dns hosters like dhs.org so dns
can follow you in a relatively short period of time.

--
Scott Harney <scott_harney@yahoo.com>
Broadband Services Manager (LA)

attached mail follows:

I never implemented it, but I wrote an algorithm a few months ago to do
dynamic DNS changes, I suppose just like the big boys do it (dhs.org,
dyndns.org, whoever). My scheme had to do with assigning an IP for a specific
host in bind that was a part of my_domain.com --- mybox.my_domain.com. I'm
fuzzy on the details right now (it's kinda late), but basically it would
determine the new IP for mybox, edit the zone file on a remote name server,
and HUP bind. Instant private dynamic DNS.

Probably there are better ways to do it than my method. I'm wanting to say
that I read that bind 8 or 9 makes this easy.

--Joey