archives: relieving frustration

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:15:29 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

I know this is dumb, but it gave me a couple of laughs:

www.fieler.com/terror

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

Last time I checked (which was last night) the "terror" website was up and
working...

I'm sorry that this post is totally off-topic, but I think it is highly
relevant to the future of our civilization. I am a member of a general
physics discussion list on which a debate about religion, science,
economics, and oil depletion has been raging since Sept. 11th. The
following message and attached .jpg was posted yesterday.

M.R.F.

---------------

Lawrence Crowell wrote:

At 11:59 AM 10/6/01 -0700, Peter Mutnick wrote:

>[Peter]
>Paradoxically, there is probably some truth to this. When an acute evil
>manifests itself it is often a reaction to an habitual lower lying evil
that
>can no longer be tolerated. Capitalism is such an evil and a burden on the
>Earth and on Humanity.

Before I say anything else I want to say this: Peter, if I have to read
another polemic on the evils of capitalism I think I will vomit!
Capitalism is just an idea that is practiced in various ways, and it has
its good and bad points. The alternatives to capitalism are no bed of
roses, try Stalinist Soviet Union. Capitalism is just an economic idea,
and like all economic ideas are a sort of secular religion. And just like
all religions there are good and bad points to them all.

I mentioned earlier one aspect of the friction between the western world
and the Islamic world as a conflict between intellectual and political
liberalism and religious orthodoxy. Now I will get the the other problem:
OIL!!! As the jpeg file indicates the Islamic nations of Saudi Arabia and
other gulf states are the oil bread basket of the world. If the Islamic
world did not have this oil reserve under their ground they would have all
the geopolitical importance of Mongolia. By 2005 Islamic oil production
will exceed the rest of the world combined. This will inevitably result is
a power shift in the world. There is essentially no escaping this prospect.

The problem is that Osama bin Ladin knows this, as doubtless do many other
people in the Arabic world. Osama bin Ladin is probably of the mind that
even if he dies, or that his Al Quida network is destroyed that he has
still started something that the United States nor the rest of the world
can really stop. I read after the World Trade Center bombing an editorial
on bin Ladin that presented some of his writings and ideas. Essentially it
comes down to "Islam Uber Alles." In fact Osama bin Ladin's writings have
a certain "Mein Kampf" quality to them. He wants to reassert the Abbassid
Caliphate, and to have that as the geopolitical center of the entire world.
 Ultimately, the power and leverage that the Islamic world would have to
attempt this change in global power structure would be their oil reserves.
Bin Ladin's terrorist tactics are really just a way to mobilize the
"slumbering masses" of Muslims, and to ultimately bring the Islamic world
in a position to exert this leverage against the western world.

Will this happen in the future? That I nor anyone else can determine.
However, the Islamic world will in the next 1-2 decades be in a position to
do this. If they do this, can they succeed? Again that is impossible to
determine, but if there is this attempt to change the global balance of
power it will doubtless make life in the 2010-2020 time frame frought with
difficulties.

There are a couple of arguments that I can think of that make such an
Islamic world coup de tete possible. The first is that if they are in this
position of petro-supremacy where they have the western world "by the
balls," the temptation to exercise that power is overwhelming. Secondly,
they must have an awareness that their own oil resources are themselves
going to peak out and decline due to depletion in the forthcoming decades.
This will put the Islamic world of the mideast in a difficult position.
The populations of the Islamic world has quadrupled since 1950. Nations
such as Saudi Arabia have utterly nothing outside of oil, and they have no
capacity to feed their populations. As such in the future where their oil
resources are declining they would be best off if they are in a position to
use their remaining oil to completely control the world financial
structure. As such they can persist at least some time into the future and
keep the agricultural nations such as the United States importing grain to
them. Ironically this could end up again reversing the political balance
of power.

The catch though is that bin Ladin and other Islamic fundamentalists have
been torching the fires of the Islamic world. The sense that the Islamic
civilization is in a position to assert itself over the world has been
growing and probably will continue to do so. As this continues their eyes
will increasingly look at the world's oil spigot, and it may just be a
matter of time before they take a firm grasp of it.

Lawrence B. Crowell