Re: Re: [Nolug] December meeting

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:51:56 -0600

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 12:27 pm, Jerald M. Sheets wrote:
> There' several types (so naturally, I may miss yours)
>
> There's graphic overlays for behind-the-scenes DOS functions.
> There's DB overlays in Clarion & dBase (same function, only in a
> database). There's cell animation overlays in the Disney animation
> software (like the old paper method). To which do you refer?

May be similar to xBase overlays. When running in x86 Small
mode, you, of course, only have 64KB to work with. If your
program+data is >64KB then you would have to split the code into
logical units. (Of course, this is good practise anyway...)
The main program section would pre-allocate a section of the
heap that was as big as the largest seperately compiled logical
unit (or sum of logical units, if more than 1 had to be loaded
at 1 time).

Then, you would explicitly load and unload program sections as
needed. Basically, you do your own paging.

Realia COBOL did something very similar, but allowed you to use
the whole 640KB. Now *that* had a fast compiler and RTL...

- --
| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@home.com |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| |
! Thanks to the good people in Microsoft, a great deal of |
! the data that flows is dependent on one company. That is |
! not a healthy ecosystem. The issue is that creativity gets |
! filtered through the business plan of one company. |
! Mitchell Baker, "Chief Lizard Wrangler" at Mozilla |