archives: bsd user groups

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:24:34 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Hey all,

Um, has anyone heard of or given thought to a semi-local bsd users group? I
would be very interested in getting involved with one. Are there enough ppl
around the area to start one?

(I always wanted to start a stampede....)

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Whispered tales passed down through generations tell of when Joey Kelly
wrote:

> Um, has anyone heard of or given thought to a semi-local bsd users group? I
> would be very interested in getting involved with one. Are there enough ppl
> around the area to start one?

I don't know about anyone else, but me[0] & Eddie Benson run *BSD
regularly and we do have the various BSDs listed on the nolug website,
so I figure that BSD does kinda fit into our group. If anyone wants some
sort of BSD related talk, I'd be glad to volunteer since I do spend more
time with BSD than Linux[1]. This, of course, depends on what NOLUG
wants.

Wait! Inspiration...... Ah-ha!

NOBLUG: New Orleans BSD/Linux User Group

Or, so we can expand into other OS-en,
NOATBFMSUG: New Orleans Anything But F****** MicroSoft User Group :)

> (I always wanted to start a stampede....)

Go-go gadget .sig-monster

[0] I run FreeBSD on my gateway/router/firewall & Vaio laptop[2]. I've
got OpenBSD on my Sparc webswerver.
[1] I like Linux & BSD. I'm not into religious wars.
[2] A dead-sexy thing. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

--
Since-beer-leekz,       | I always wanted to start a stampede.
Mikey                   |

attached mail follows:

NOFREENIX
NOOS <New Orleans Open Source>

that would cover just about anything I would imagine....

I've always though NOLUG was kind of on an expanded mission. I
am running FreeBSD and OpenBSD myself. That might be some good
stuff to talk about.

Still, I want us to not always talk about the highly technical.
We should split meetings in half. Talk about user apps, games and
cool stuff. Then talk about the super-geeky stuff.

Scott Harney wrote:

> Still, I want us to not always talk about the highly technical.
> We should split meetings in half. Talk about user apps, games and
> cool stuff. Then talk about the super-geeky stuff.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to sell this program, just sharing info on a
product I am currently working with. So, please, no flames about
putting up adverts on the mailing list.

I've been setting up Appgen's beancounter software. Can't say much about
it, because I'm currently installing and configuring it (I'm working on
a client/server version), but the client runs on Win**, Mac, Linux, and
Unix (*BSD, slowlaris, SCO). And it has a *nix (even runs on weird
things like IBM AIX RS/6000, AT&T, and NCR) and NT/2000 server program.
If you want to run it just on one workstation, you can do that too. The
Linux server program is not the prettiest thing (terminal based but easy
to deal with through ssh), but it takes up very little of your precious
resources. The Linux client program is *VERY* nice looking and easy to
work with (though I don't know squat about accounting). It's not open
source, but it does come with the full sources and a C tool kit.

I case you're interested, check out http://www.appgen.com. They're a
*very* Linux friendly company and actually have tech support that
doesn't freak out when you say ,"Linux".

I should hopefully be done with importing all the data from the previous
program Real Soon Now. So once I've got that sussed out, maybe I can do
a talk about Appgen. Be warned: Demonstrating a beancounter program
could cause narcoleptic seizures. OTOH, I do think it will show
everyone that the concept of having Linux on the desktop in an office of
non-techs is not so far-fetched after all. I'm impressed and I'm not
very easily impressed.

ObJustWalkingAwayForAWhile: I am trying to take a little break from this
program and my other responsibilities. This is why I'm so suddenly
active on the list. :)

--
Since-beer-leekz,       |If this were an actual emergency,
Mikey                   |we would have all fled in terror, .

attached mail follows:

Thou spake:
>I've always though NOLUG was kind of on an expanded mission.

Yeah, and I agree.

>I am running FreeBSD and OpenBSD myself. That might be some good
>stuff to talk about.
>
>Still, I want us to not always talk about the highly technical.
>We should split meetings in half.

That's my point.

I think that I can safely generalize that most of the people running BSD are
more technically-oriented, having already cut their *nix teeth on Linux or
somesuch. I am wanting more in-depth discussions about technical things, and
I would imagine that a meeting dedicated to BSD, as opposed to the main nolug
meeting, would be a better place to present and consume a more technical diet
of information.

I'm pondering the possibilities --- perhaps a separate BSD meeting could be
started, or maybe we could form a sub-group for BSD under nolug, with an
alternate meeting schedule. The local PC users group (I went one time, but
forget the name of it) does this, with working groups, workshops, etc.

I want to be careful that I'm not presenting this in a manner that offends
anyone in particular, nor the group as a whole. Either way (or even if the
whole idea is nixed), I want to make it clear that any effort or focus on BSD
would or should in no way detract from the main meeting. If anything, it is
certainly my aim that anything along these lines would add to the meeting,
and the group as a whole, and to the individual *nix user --- whether he be a
10-year *nix veteran, or a 10-week-old newbie to the whole *nix scene.

My entire aim is to learn more about the class of operating system that I
have come to love.

>Talk about user apps, games and
>cool stuff. Then talk about the super-geeky stuff.

You and I have talked about this aspect, and I agree with this, as I have
related to you previously. We need to present "Linux-lite" at times, and also
we need to keep the newcomers to Linux in mind, and always try to bring them
further along. We need to be a source of help to them, not a stumbling block.

--Joey

<snipped>

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

I can't remember who, but I actually emailed back and forth with someone a
bit over a year ago that had attempted to start such a group. It was on
hold at that time, and to be honest, whatever the name, NOLUG has never,
IMHO constrained themselves to a Linux Only group...

attached mail follows:

Yeah. Hunter and I were explicit about that early on. Obviously
Linux is the driver pulling people to these other unixen. But I'd
always felt that we were more inclusive than Linux alone and welcome
discussions and presentations on *BSD items.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 06:02:38PM -0600, Eddie Benson wrote:
> I can't remember who, but I actually emailed back and forth with someone a
> bit over a year ago that had attempted to start such a group. It was on
> hold at that time, and to be honest, whatever the name, NOLUG has never,
> IMHO constrained themselves to a Linux Only group...

attached mail follows:

http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#user says:

>> New Orleans LA The New Orleans *BSD User Group meets twice a
>> month. Contact Konrad Rzeszutek for more details. A web page will be
>> posted soon.

And I emailed Konrad <krzeszut@cs.uno.edu> to ask the meetings one or
two months ago, but I don't have any reply yet.

-- Yuji Yamano