archives: computer monitor fps

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:53:31 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Does anyone know the fps ( or frames per second ) of a computer monitor? I am working on a computer game in python and it would be nice to know..

Bryant Stewart

attached mail follows:

Uh, you are asking the wrong question. A monitor does not have fps. The
graphic card has fps, the software that drives the system has fps.

You would either computer it by hand (setup a timer and see how often your
screen is updated in a second - use a counter) or there might be built-in
functions for checking the fps.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Bryant Stewart wrote:

> Does anyone know the fps ( or frames per second ) of a computer monitor? I am working on a computer game in python and it would be nice to know..
>

> Bryant Stewart

attached mail follows:

> Uh, you are asking the wrong question. A monitor does not have fps. The
> graphic card has fps, the software that drives the system has fps.
>
> You would either computer it by hand (setup a timer and see how often your
> screen is updated in a second - use a counter) or there might be built-in
> functions for checking the fps.

to check fps in your program use the ticks (milliseconds). Get it at the
start, and the end, subtract and divide by the number of frames
rendered*1000. that will give you your average fps.

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Bryant Stewart wrote:
>

> > Does anyone know the fps ( or frames per second ) of a computer monitor?
I am working on a computer game in python and it would be nice to know..

> > Bryant Stewart

attached mail follows:

 do you know python?
  Konrad <konrad@darnok.org> wrote: Uh, you are asking the wrong question. A monitor does not have fps. The
graphic card has fps, the software that drives the system has fps.

You would either computer it by hand (setup a timer and see how often your
screen is updated in a second - use a counter) or there might be built-in
functions for checking the fps.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Bryant Stewart wrote:

> Does anyone know the fps ( or frames per second ) of a computer monitor? I am working on a computer game in python and it would be nice to know..
>

> Bryant Stewart

attached mail follows:

Your ultimate goal for fps is as high as possible. The old cartoons (I mean OLD) ran at 20fps. Most games that are 2d shoot for 60-80. And 3D games are joyous if they get 30 in a software render mode and it really depends on hardware for accellerated modes.

Feel free to email me directly about game coding. hehe. I used to do it professionally

~
  Does anyone know the fps ( or frames per second ) of a computer monitor? I am working on a computer game in python and it would be nice to know..

  Bryant Stewart

attached mail follows:

Do you know any python or C?
  the Professor <nyghtgolem@bigplanet.com> wrote: Your ultimate goal for fps is as high as possible. The old cartoons (I mean OLD) ran at 20fps. Most games that are 2d shoot for 60-80. And 3D games are joyous if they get 30 in a software render mode and it really depends on hardware for accellerated modes. Feel free to email me directly about game coding. hehe. I used to do it professionally ~----- Original Message ----- From: Bryant Stewart To: nolug@nolug.org Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2001 7:55
MSubject: [Nolug] computer monitor fps

Does anyone know the fps ( or frames per second ) of a computer monitor? I am working on a computer game in python and it would be nice to know..

Bryant Stewart

attached mail follows:

I do. I write in C/C++ every day professionally and for fun.

:)

I am checking into python. Learning a new language is always fun. I just
found out that it has OpenGL extentions for 3D graphics. that should be
interesting.

~

Does anyone know the fps ( or frames per second ) of a computer monitor? I
am working on a computer game in python and it would be nice to know..

Bryant Stewart

Do You Yahoo!?

Do You Yahoo!?

attached mail follows:

 look into pygame. library for python for game making.
http://www.pygame.org
  the Professor <nyghtgolem@bigplanet.com> wrote: I do. I write in C/C++ every day professionally and for fun.

:)