archives: chat IM System need

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:55:06 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

I need a reliable chat and IM system similar to aol or yahoo. Open source of
course which I can use communicate securely within my network. Since some
of my users may be on windows and others on Linux must work with both. I
want an applet type program which can be always on, preferably set to load
every time the computer boots.

It would be nice if the system allowed file sharing securely between my
project members. We will be running this on a Linux base server at the back
end. Any ideals guys or gals.

Matthew Lottinger

attached mail follows:

AIM is available for Linuxes that supports AIM, MSN, ICQ, and others.
This is distributed with the RedHat distro, and is available in more
than just *.rpm's. Give it a looksee. Mine works great with all those
services.

--JMS

On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 16:37, matthew wrote:
> I need a reliable chat and IM system similar to aol or yahoo. Open source of
> course which I can use communicate securely within my network. Since some
> of my users may be on windows and others on Linux must work with both. I
> want an applet type program which can be always on, preferably set to load
> every time the computer boots.
>
> It would be nice if the system allowed file sharing securely between my
> project members. We will be running this on a Linux base server at the back
> end. Any ideals guys or gals.
>

> Matthew Lottinger

attached mail follows:

The problem is that i need something that works my server. That can only be
accessed by users authorized on my network.

Matt

AIM is available for Linuxes that supports AIM, MSN, ICQ, and others.
This is distributed with the RedHat distro, and is available in more
than just *.rpm's. Give it a looksee. Mine works great with all those
services.

--JMS

On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 16:37, matthew wrote:
> I need a reliable chat and IM system similar to aol or yahoo. Open source
of
> course which I can use communicate securely within my network. Since some
> of my users may be on windows and others on Linux must work with both. I
> want an applet type program which can be always on, preferably set to load
> every time the computer boots.
>
> It would be nice if the system allowed file sharing securely between my
> project members. We will be running this on a Linux base server at the
back
> end. Any ideals guys or gals.
>

> Matthew Lottinger

attached mail follows:

I've got "centericq" running on my server that I use when out of town to
get my icq messages. Check out centericq on freshmeat. It works great,
too. In combination with screen, you can have centericq, pine, and
others open all at once in a terminal.

--JMS

AIM is available for Linuxes that supports AIM, MSN, ICQ, and others.
This is distributed with the RedHat distro, and is available in more
than just *.rpm's. Give it a looksee. Mine works great with all those
services.

--JMS

On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 16:37, matthew wrote:
> I need a reliable chat and IM system similar to aol or yahoo. Open
source
of
> course which I can use communicate securely within my network. Since
some
> of my users may be on windows and others on Linux must work with both.
> want an applet type program which can be always on, preferably set to
load
> every time the computer boots.
>
> It would be nice if the system allowed file sharing securely between
my
> project members. We will be running this on a Linux base server at
the
back
> end. Any ideals guys or gals.
>

> Matthew Lottinger

attached mail follows:

I'm not sure if it'll have all the features you want, but you may want
to check out Jabber. (www.jabber.org) It's an open-source IM system with
support for Windows, Linux, and Mac, at least one php script version,
and Java based clients. It has integrated PGP encryption, secure
client-server communications using SSL, and it makes available
interaction with all the major IM services, as well as IRC. (it actually
has an IRC interface, too, I think.) The one thing you list that it may
not have is secure file sharing, though I know at least one client uses
WebDAV to allow you to share files, and I assume that that could be made
secure.

Dustin may be able to give you more info, since I've seen his name on
some of the Jabber-related email lists a few times, and I think he's
doing some programming with it some sort of way.

Hope that helps,
PS: the one major downside to Jabber is that, though it works with all
the major IM services, it tends to be unstable there, since they're
moving targets.

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 04:37:21PM -0600, matthew wrote:
> I need a reliable chat and IM system similar to aol or yahoo. Open source of
> course which I can use communicate securely within my network. Since some
> of my users may be on windows and others on Linux must work with both. I
> want an applet type program which can be always on, preferably set to load
> every time the computer boots.
>
> It would be nice if the system allowed file sharing securely between my
> project members. We will be running this on a Linux base server at the back
> end. Any ideals guys or gals.
>

> Matthew Lottinger

Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
					-- Ben Franklin
|| Peter M Kahle Jr              ||     PGP Public Key on Keyservers     ||
|| pkahle@pobox.com              ||    http://pops.dyndns.com/~pkahle/   ||

attached mail follows:

I'd second that. I've found Jabber to be easy to setup and use and it's
very extendible should you want to use it as a transport tool.

"The principal mark of genius is not perfection but originality, the
opening of new frontiers."
                                       -- Arthur Koestler

*^*^*^*
Michael McGlothlin <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>