archives: Newsletters from O'Reilly UG Program

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:55:56 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

----- Forwarded message from Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com> -----

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:05:52 -0600
From: Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
To: nolug@nolug.org
Subject: [deniseo@oreilly.com: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, November 15]y

----- Forwarded message from Denise Olliffe <deniseo@oreilly.com> -----

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:06:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Denise Olliffe <deniseo@oreilly.com>
To: scotth@scottharney.com
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, November 15

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
November 15, 2001

Highlights this week...
Books:
 - 3 New Pocket References
News:
 - Apple to be at NCMUG's November 20th meeting
 - An Interview with Tim O'Reilly by the Staff of La Fnac
 - NoCatAuth: Authentication For Wireless Networks
 - Demining Challenge for Engineering Students
 - Hailstorm's Principal Architecht Speaks on Microsoft
 - Wireless Java: MIDP GUI Programming
 - Getting Started with LDAP
 - David Pogue on the Real Mac OS X
 - Feds Discover the PowerPoint-QuickTime Connection
 - Programming Perl is Best of 2001

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

Spread the word to your members...

GENERAL INTEREST
--------------------

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA:
North Coast Mac Users Group proudly presents:
PHIL SCHILLER, APPLE VICE PRESIDENT OF WORLDWIDE MARKETING
November 20, 2001
7:00 p.m.
Doubletree Hotel
One Doubletree Drive
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, FREE OF CHARGE
O'Reilly will have a table at the meeting (it's local for us)
http://www.ncmug.org/
The event is getting press:
IGM (Insanely Great Mac) gets excited about it:
http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/1167.html

AN INTERVIEW WITH TIM O'REILLY
In this interview with La Fnac, France's largest book and music
retailer, Tim O'Reilly talks about next-generation operating systems,
Linux in embedded systems, how open source can play a kingmaker role in
the battle between Java and .NET, and more.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/fnacinterview_1101.html

NOCATAUTH: AUTHENTICATION FOR WIRELESS NETWORKS
Even an open community wireless network needs to keep track of who's
using it, says Rob Flickenger, who describes the authentication system
used by NoCat. Rob is the author of the upcoming "Building Wireless
Community Networks: Implementing the Wireless Web."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/11/09/nocatauth.html Rob
also leads the NoCatNet Developer's Group: http://nocat.net/

DEMINING CHALLENGE FOR ENGINEERING STUDENTS
Leftover land mines are one of the world's thorniest problems. Ed
Scott suggests that we challenge US engineering students to tackle this
problem, following the model of a project in Canada. This could be an
extremely worthwhile project; check it out on Tim's weblog:
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/854

HAILSTORM'S PRINCIPAL ARCHITECT SPEAKS ON MICROSOFT
Mark Lucovsky, principal architect of HailStorm, was a keynote speaker
at the recent O'Reilly P2P Conference. His "thank you" email said a
lot about current attitudes at Microsoft.
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/856

JAVA
---------------------

WIRELESS JAVA: MIDP GUI PROGRAMMING
Learn about the Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP) API in this
sample chapter from O'Reilly's upcoming "Wireless Java: Programming
with the Java 2 Platform, Micro Edition."
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelessjava/chapter/ch05.html

LINUX
---------------------

Getting Started with LDAP
The 2nd article on LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) has
sparked a lot of interest...In his first article, Luke Kanies explained
LDAP. Now Luke shows you how to set up a basic LDAP directory to store
Unix user accounts, along with a script to pull those accounts to a
Unix system:
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/11/08/ldap.html

MAC
---------------------

DAVID POGUE ON THE REAL MAC OS X
Mac OS X is unlike anything Mac users have ever seen before, and the
latest Missing Manual, which covers version 10.1, will help you
understand Mac OS X's Unix roots, says David Pogue, author of
O'Reilly's upcoming "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/11/09/missingmanual.html

FEDS DISCOVER THE POWERPOINT-QUICKTIME CONNECTION
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network's managing editor reports that the
State Department is using PowerPoint and Quicktime to produce a
promotional film ("Defeating Terror, Defending Freedom") for its
current efforts. The film weighs in at a hefty 45 megabytes, but using
a few tricks, Derrick was able to trim it down to only 4.4 megabytes,
without much loss in quality:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/11/12/qy_authoring.html

PERL
---------------------

PROGRAMMING PERL IS BEST OF 2001
O'Reilly's "Programming Perl, 3rd Edition" topped Fatbrain's list of
the Best Computing & Internet Books of 2001. O'Reilly also took top
honors in the Medicine and Biotech category with Developing
Bioinformatics Computer Skills:
http://www1.fatbrain.com/fbt/offers/computing/2001/home.asp?FBPROMO=eb110201

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.

O'REILLY CAN FIT IN YOUR POCKET WITH 3 NEW REFERENCES:

Oracle SQL Tuning Pocket Reference
Order #2688
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orsqltunpr/
Sample excerpt: The SQL Optimizers
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orsqltunpr/chapter/excerpt.html

Python Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition
Order #1894
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonpr2/
Sample excerpt: Specific Statements
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonpr2/chapter/excerpt.html

Oracle RMAN Pocket Reference
Order #2335
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rman/
Article from the author:
http://oracle.oreilly.com/news/oraclerman_1001.html

AUTHORS WANTING TO SPEAK TO YOUR GROUP

Pennsylvania:
James Tisdall, author of O'Reilly's "Beginning Perl for
Bioinoformatics" http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/begperlbio/, is located
in Kimberton, PA.

Virginia:
Fred Drake, coauthor of O'Reilly's "Python & XML"
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonxml/, is located in Reston, VA.

If either of these authors appeal to your group, let me know. I'll try
to set something up for you.

HELP O'REILLY, EARN SOME DOOR PRIZES

We're trying to get the word out about the upcoming O'Reilly
Bioinformatics Technology Conference. If you'd be willing to post a
banner on your web site, we'd truly appreciate the effort. Banners can
be found at: http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/banners/ Please let
me know if you're able--we'll provide some door prizes for your
meetings, in exchange.

WHERE YOU'LL SEE US NEXT

DECEMBER
-----------------

Oracle Open World
December 2-7
Booth #614
Moscone Convention Center
San Francisco, CA

LISA 2001
December 5-6
Town & Country Resort Hotel
Booth #511
San Diego, CA
While at the Conference, don't miss presentations and tutorials
by our merry band of authors, listed at:
http://events.oreilly.com/

JANUARY 2002
-----------------

Macworld
January 8-11, 2002
Moscone Convention Center
Booth #416
San Francisco, CA
Don't miss presentations by O'Reilly authors:
David Pogue, Adam Engst and Matt Neuburg
http://www.macworldexpo.com/index.html
IF YOU'D LIKE FREE PASSES, LET ME KNOW. I have a few
to give out ($29 value).
Also, Marsee Henon and I will be staffing an O'Reilly table during the
Apple User Group University at Apple headquarters in Cupertino on
January 7th--hope to see you there!

O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology Conference
January 28-31, 2002
Tucson, AZ
http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/
Reminder: You can receive a double-discount if you register during the
Early Bird pricing by using your 20% discount code: DSUG. Early Bird
ends December 7th.

Have a wonderful holiday next week. You'll hear from me again on the
29th.

--Denise

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63