Re: [Nolug] Confusion getting Debian source code

From: Peter Kahle <pkahle_at_pobox.com>
Date: 05 Jan 2002 20:01:18 -0600

not sure what version kernel are running on 2.2 these days (I'm running
testing, aka woody, aka 2.3, probably.) But generally, packages named
kernel-source* should do what you want (search in dselect, using
/kernel-source) If you do go that route, I highly recommend the
kernel-package package, which does quite a bit of automating the
building of a kernel deb file with whatever patches, configs, etc. you
want.

You can also just install a different kernel image, using one of the
kernel-image packages available. I believe compact images are designed
to be small enough to work on the boot-floppy, whereas the real system
usually uses a more feature-full image (read, bloated) you can try
getting the standard version of your kernel image by doing apt-get
kernel-image-<version> (for example, apt-get kernel-image-2.2.19 is what
my unstable system keeps on-board in case I ever decide to go back to a
2.2 kernel.

Hope that helps,
On Sat, 2002-01-05 at 16:37, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just dove head 1st into Debian 2.2r4, doing a network install,
> but now find that the kernel I'm using (compact) doesn't
> support ipchains. (This makes the wife *very* upset.) Now,
> I'm having a big struggle trying to find the kernel sources,
> in order to rebuild the kernel.
>
> Can anyone point the way?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
					-- Ben Franklin