Re: [Nolug] Confusion getting Debian source code

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 23:10:37 -0600

potato (2.2r4) uses kernel 2.2.19. Actually, the -ide kernel
is 428K *smaller* than the -compact kernel...

I'll keep your ideas in mind.

ipchains now works, after a failed 2.2 kernel build! At boot
time, the linus kernel got an unresolved symbol in af_packet.
So, I went back to the kernel I *think* had been using, and now
ipchains works.

Oh, well. Computers work in mysterious ways...

On Saturday 05 January 2002 08:01 pm, Peter Kahle wrote:
> not sure what version kernel are running on 2.2 these days (I'm
> running testing, aka woody, aka 2.3, probably.) But generally,
> packages named kernel-source* should do what you want (search in
> dselect, using /kernel-source) If you do go that route, I highly
> recommend the kernel-package package, which does quite a bit of
> automating the building of a kernel deb file with whatever patches,
> configs, etc. you want.
>
> You can also just install a different kernel image, using one of the
> kernel-image packages available. I believe compact images are
> designed to be small enough to work on the boot-floppy, whereas the
> real system usually uses a more feature-full image (read, bloated)
> you can try getting the standard version of your kernel image by
> doing apt-get kernel-image-<version> (for example, apt-get
> kernel-image-2.2.19 is what my unstable system keeps on-board in case
> I ever decide to go back to a 2.2 kernel.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> On Sat, 2002-01-05 at 16:37, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just dove head 1st into Debian 2.2r4, doing a network install,
> > but now find that the kernel I'm using (compact) doesn't
> > support ipchains. (This makes the wife *very* upset.) Now,
> > I'm having a big struggle trying to find the kernel sources,
> > in order to rebuild the kernel.
> >
> > Can anyone point the way?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ron

- --
| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@home.com |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| |
! "Fair is where you take your cows to be judged." !
! Unknown !