archives: web server

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:22:58 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.

attached mail follows:

does anyone know how i can make a program like ABYSS Web Server start on boot?

i have made a shell script call services.sh to start the Abyss web server and ftp server.

p.s. to start abyss web server you have to do this:

cd \

cd root

cd abyss

cd bin

./abyss -c ../conf/abyss.conf

thnx for you help

attached mail follows:

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 08:34:25AM -0700, Bryant Stewart wrote:

> does anyone know how i can make a program like ABYSS Web Server start
> on boot?

> i have made a shell script call services.sh to start the
> Abyss web server and ftp server.

Well, I'm using Debian, and I believe that other distributions are
similar, but Your Mileage May Vary, as they say. I have a directory
called /etc/init.d that contains all the startup and shutdown scripts
for everything that's run at bootup and poweroff. There's also a series
of directories called /etc/rc?.d (where ? is the runlevel), and in these
are symlinks to the stuff in /etc/init.d that is called at that
particular runlevel. I believe all you'd have to do would be to put
your script in /etc/init.d (making sure you've chmod +x'd it--God knows,
I've forgotten that myself) and put a symlink in your favorite runlevel.

You may also want to check out http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
in Chapter 3.3, System Runlevels, or search Google for "runlevels" or
"SysV" or "init."

Yours,
Carson

---
JID: carson@theoretic.com

attached mail follows:

If it's debian. you can run the special script update-rc.d and it
will add all appropriatte symlinks. man update-rc.d on a debian box
for details.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63

attached mail follows:

I don't know if other distros have rc.local file, but RedHats do.

Simplest way I know would be adding it to end of "rc.local" file.
or you make this "start" sequence you wrote, as text file and call it from
you rc.local file.

Petri