archives: sharing MP3 files

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:40:48 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.

attached mail follows:

I have a lot of MP3 files at my house that I'd like to listen to at
work. However, I don't want to be in the eternal struggle of syncing my
local stash of MP3 files with my home stash.

Anyone know of a way to share those MP3 files easily? Maybe even allow
me to stream them? I am not really familiar with Napster and the other
software, so I'm not sure what my options are. Also, I only have 300
Kb/s upload, so I don't want to share with the world, only with myself.
:)

I am running Win2k Pro behind a Linux firewall.

Regards, Dustin

--
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear

attached mail follows:

Dump them all to free online storage of mp3's.
I haven't used it for long long time, but last time I used it, it was apx.
1Gb.

I lost my link over there, but surely can be found with search engines.

Petri

I do this all day long. Stream out using icecast. Go to www.icecast.org

I use the ices encoder with Lame to re-encode them realtime to 56kbps
so they are listenable. Go to freshmeat and search for some of the many
streaming webpages to manage it. I use one called "otto". I can control
the whole thing from a web browser. It took some effort, but it works
like a champ.

Just password protect the website and use tcp wrappers to restrict the
client to your work IP address.

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:23:26AM -0500, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> I have a lot of MP3 files at my house that I'd like to listen to at
> work. However, I don't want to be in the eternal struggle of syncing my
> local stash of MP3 files with my home stash.
>
> Anyone know of a way to share those MP3 files easily? Maybe even allow
> me to stream them? I am not really familiar with Napster and the other
> software, so I'm not sure what my options are. Also, I only have 300
> Kb/s upload, so I don't want to share with the world, only with myself.
> :)
>
> I am running Win2k Pro behind a Linux firewall.
>
> Regards, Dustin
>
> --
> Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
> http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
> In the beginning the Universe was created.
> This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63

attached mail follows:

Cool, I'll have to play with this over the weekend. Thanks.

Regards, Dustin

On Tue, 2001-10-09 at 11:29, Scott Harney wrote:
> I do this all day long. Stream out using icecast. Go to www.icecast.org
>
> I use the ices encoder with Lame to re-encode them realtime to 56kbps
> so they are listenable. Go to freshmeat and search for some of the many
> streaming webpages to manage it. I use one called "otto". I can control
> the whole thing from a web browser. It took some effort, but it works
> like a champ.
>
> Just password protect the website and use tcp wrappers to restrict the
> client to your work IP address.
>
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:23:26AM -0500, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> > I have a lot of MP3 files at my house that I'd like to listen to at
> > work. However, I don't want to be in the eternal struggle of syncing my
> > local stash of MP3 files with my home stash.
> >
> > Anyone know of a way to share those MP3 files easily? Maybe even allow
> > me to stream them? I am not really familiar with Napster and the other
> > software, so I'm not sure what my options are. Also, I only have 300
> > Kb/s upload, so I don't want to share with the world, only with myself.
> > :)
> >
> > I am running Win2k Pro behind a Linux firewall.
> >
> > Regards, Dustin
> >
> > --
> > Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
> > http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
> > In the beginning the Universe was created.
> > This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

> Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
> PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63

Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

attached mail follows:

Even if your mp3 files are on the W2K box you can still stream em
using the linux box. Just use samba internally to mount a share of course.
My mp3's are on different machines from the streaming box and I use
NFS internally. My Mp3s are encoding with Variable Bit Rate but are a
 minimum of 128K. Note that re-encoding on the fly with ices+liblame
is processor-intesive.