Re: [Nolug] PHP help

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:07:59 -0500

On Friday 18 April 2008 10:22:19 am Petri Laihonen wrote:
> I got lost with this statement.
>
> "why bother to learn the arcanities of a templating language like
> smarty, when you already are using one with php?"
>
> How is PHP itself as template engine? Would it be easy enough for a
> non-coding web designer to use?

If you read that link I posted, PHP follows the callback templating model,
while smarty uses the pipeline model.

As an example of callback, take a look at my company site:
http://www.kellynet.org

I've opened up the templating code using .phps links:

http://www.kellynet.org/index.phps
http://www.kellynet.org/leftnav.inc
http://www.kellynet.org/tables.phps

and as an example of the content:

http://www.kellynet.org/Linux.phps

Ok, so I'm not much of a programmer, but you get the picture.

Callback means that code is interspersed in HTML. Pipeline means that... on
second thought, go read the page I posted instead, it knows this stuff better
than I do.