Re: [Nolug] resetting bios password on a laptop

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:18:05 -0500

Bart Pittari wrote:
> A friend I know is trying to do some tech support for a laptop (dell
> inspiron 640m) and it's got a BIOS password. The owner of the laptop
> inherited the system and doesn't know the password. The previous
> owner is unavailable. Dell support has been less than helpful,
> including the Change of Ownership route.
>
> From looking at the support forums, there are cracks available for
> latitudes based on the service tag number, but none I could find for
> inspirons.
>
> Any workarounds or suggestions? I have the service tag if needed.
>
> Bart
This could be very tricky. On a desktop machine it would be easy just to
connect the bios reset jumper and that's it
(Old times to remove the bios battery for a while)

With laptop I assume similar process would work, but is definitely going
to be a bit more challenging.

I do not know of any utility to do this. However with modern bioses,
there may actually be one.

Petri