Re: [Nolug] Gmail on your Desktop..

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:34:30 -0500

Yep. I use labels and filters extensively. There is no difference in doing
this with gmail vs thurnderbird. Or for that matter with mutt and
procmail. If you hate gmail, IMAPv4 and POP3 are free so you can organize
at with labels and filters and hit gmail via mutt or thunderbird if you
like.

And that use "gmail as default mailer" works on linux too, though I've just
been pointing my mail helper app at a quick and dirty shell script for a
while now.