Re: [Nolug] Gmail on your Desktop..

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:42:40 -0500

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/07/08 14:04, Petri Laihonen wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/07/08 12:50, -ray wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:

Don't know about Hotmail, but when last I used Yahoo, it had
folders.  There's no other way to organize multiple mailing lists.

Nonsense... I organize many mailing lists in gmail.  You create the
filter to say skip the INBOX and file directly to this label.

So it goes into All Mail?  I've got a hundred thousand emails...

I just installed a small javascript to my browser so that all Gmail
labels AND sublabels are displayed same way in a tree as my thunderbird
does when connecting via IMAP. I'm still going to use primarily
thunderbird, at least for now. I'm used to organize stuff with it and
all the folders in IMAP translate to gmail labels.

I'd love to see a screenshot of that.

Here
http://charlotteandpetri.net/tmp/gmail_tree.jpg

Both Gmail and Thunderbird IMAP structures.....
I wonder if there is another scripts which allows to change gmail view a bit so that labels pane would be a bit wider.

I do not know how many e-mails I have, but over the weekend I was able
to transfer only about 2.5 Gb of them, and still more to go. the utility
I found, imapsync, seems to be dying when it hits to the "ghost" entries
in my current mailbox. After I remove the "ghost" entries which
apparently have only a header, but no body, it should be able to do
syncing al lthe way through.

But because that's impossible in Gmail, people give up.  And FOSS
newbies don't know that there's a better way to organize data.

Agreed... i felt the same.  However once you let go of the "but i *need*
folders" mentality, gmail labels are actually easier and more efficient
than folders.
To take that a step further, I spoke to a Google guy at Educause last
year.  He said he doesn't even bother organizing into labels anymore...
whenever he needs something he just searches for it.  If the search is
good enough to always find what you need, why waste time trying to
organize it?

And if you aren't sure exactly what to search for?

That's why I like proper MUAs, which show thread nesting and have
folders.

Agree with Shannon... IMO gmail is the best free email out there.