Re: [Nolug] Python : Confusion

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 17:36:23 -0600

On 12/06/08 16:18, Dennis J Harrison Jr wrote:
> I see a few people on the list who are confused as to what python is.
>
> Python is not a scripting language.

Of course it is. The beauty is that it makes easy the task of
writing Really Large Scripts.

> It can certainly be used as one
> if configured in that sense... Just like anything.

Show me a COBOL script.

> Python is one of the only Object Oriented languages available that you

"One of the only" is an extraordinary weasel phrase.

> can do useful things with in very little time.

IIRC, it started as a procedural language. Even if it didn't,
"procedural orientation" has been there since the beginning.

> You can use regex and unicode as you will.
>
> OOTB you get support for : HTTP, FTP, SMTP, XML-RPC, POP, IMAP, CGI,
> and others I am sure I can't remember right now.

What does this have to do with whether or not it's a scripting language?

> You get an interactive shell to dev and test with.

And...

> You can use Rpython and then have pypy generate c for you. (If it
> isn't fast enough, and stackless won't give you what you want)

Only with a subset of Python syntax.

> Take a look at the python standard lib:
> http://docs.python.org/library/

Been doing so since v1.5.1.

> You can also pay attention to:
> http://www.python.org/doc/faq/general/#is-python-a-good-language-for-beginning-programmers
>
> And for examples of use:
> http://www.python.org/about/success/
>
> I know that perception is reality... meaning that I can not 'prove' to
> anyone that python is a better language for beginning programmers then
> any other language. I personally believe that and would be happy to
> help anyone get started.

Python was *designed* as a teaching language, and it does a very
good job at it.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA