[Nolug] Python : Confusion

From: Dennis J Harrison Jr <dennisharrison_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 16:18:48 -0600

I see a few people on the list who are confused as to what python is.

Python is not a scripting language. It can certainly be used as one
if configured in that sense... Just like anything.

Python is one of the only Object Oriented languages available that you
can do useful things with in very little time.

You can use regex and unicode as you will.

OOTB you get support for : HTTP, FTP, SMTP, XML-RPC, POP, IMAP, CGI,
and others I am sure I can't remember right now.

You get an interactive shell to dev and test with.

You can use Rpython and then have pypy generate c for you. (If it
isn't fast enough, and stackless won't give you what you want)

Take a look at the python standard lib:
http://docs.python.org/library/

You can also pay attention to:
http://www.python.org/doc/faq/general/#is-python-a-good-language-for-beginning-programmers

And for examples of use:
http://www.python.org/about/success/

I know that perception is reality... meaning that I can not 'prove' to
anyone that python is a better language for beginning programmers then
any other language. I personally believe that and would be happy to
help anyone get started.