Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:18:44 -0600

On 12/07/08 12:32, Petri Laihonen wrote:
>> TANSTAAFL.
> ????

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

>> Indexing adds overhead, slowing down inserts/updates/deletes, and, if
>> you care anything about ACID, causes locking.
>
> I guess this depends on the Db size etc....other factors But to me it
> is a small price to pay.
> I had a MySql table with about 1.5 million records without any index.
> Queries to this table took easily 4-20 seconds..... By adding index to
> one field, the query times went down to 0.00....something seconds.
> (can't remember now was it milli or micro, and too lazy to look it up....)

In the databases I manage, 1.5M rows is "noise".

Wake me up at 30M, 200M is big, and 2000M is *big*. Currently, our
largest table is 675M rows, and that's only because there's a
constantly-running job that deletes the oldest records.

>> Also, there are (at least in the RDBMS that we use) two kinds of
>> indexes, hashed and b-tree, which are targeted at significantly
>> different work flow.
>
> Yet another field I know nothing really..... I only use Mysql, MyIsam
> and InnoDb engines..... I have recently started considering the NDB
> engines too..... just have to make more studying about whether or not
> it works for me as praised on the web.....

It's all a matter of scale. But even at your size (and plz don't
think I dismiss it, because your "small" amount of important data is
just as important to you as our terabytes), I'd use PostgreSQL,
since it doesn't have the egregious data loss problems that MySQL has.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA