Re: [Nolug] Why I don't reply on...

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 18:11:12 -0400

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 2009-05-15 21:42, Dennis J Harrison Jr wrote:
>> Google knows their poop. I do agree that you should have a backup.
>> But you unless you're running your own email server as a full time
>> job, you're not going to do as well as the gmail team (and even then
>> it's highly debatable). Now, the scary thing is if/when they change
>
> Is it really *that* difficult to run an email server like exim or
> postfix? Once you configure it properly, they just *work*.

As someone who runs my own mail server (for myself and others), I keep
an eye on Gmail's downtime and spam filtering. Perception bias plays a
part, I'm sure, but they don't seem that much more reliable than what I
can do.

Not orders-of-magnitude more reliable, anyway.

Can I scale up the way they have? Not right now. But there are tools
to help with that.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/
Make peace with yourself and Heaven and Earth will make peace with