Re: Hate Linux?? (was Re: [Nolug] Woo hoo!!! On-line with wireless!!!)

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:54:30 -0500

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 09:51:22AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2009-06-12 09:13, B. Estrade wrote:
> [snip]
> >I hate linux, but use Ubuntu on my work lappy bc I am too lazy to
>
> I can understand you not liking it for technical reasons, being
> miffed that it gets all the press that Tux gets that Beastie
> deserves, or even that the GPL Is Evil, but *hate*???

Wow, what a flurry of emails this comment caused :)

I don't waste my time with stuff like popularity or licenses, even
though my personal politics are a lot more consistent with BSD
variants. And my feeling on the popularity is that I feel sorry for
all of the people missing out :)

And I guess I shouldn't say I *hate* linux, because at least it makes
the unix environment available to a very large audience. I don't like
the fragmentation of the Linux community, all of the distributions,
and its general lack of a consistent file system hierarchy. I can't
rightly argue about technical merits of *BSD vs Linux, either. All I
have is the experience (and joy) I get from working from a FreeBSD
box. In fact, right now I am coming to from mutt, being accessed via
screen in a terminal window running inside of fluxbox, on my FreeBSD
bounce box; but I'm in fluxbox simply because I am physically on the
box atm. Most often, I use my Ubuntu laptop to ssh into this box, on
which I maintain the screen session that has all of my usual terminals
multiplexed.

But moreover, I just *love* FreeBSD. There's a quote floating around
that says, "FreeBSD is for those who love Unix; Linux is for those who
hate Windows." And I think this is very accurate for the way that I
feel. I still don't like the generalization it implies about people
who advocate Linux, but it makes me chuckle because I can't deny that
it is true in many cases.

I use Ubuntu on my lappy, and I think it provides a killer desktop
*nix. I've tried the attempts to stomach the desktop BSDs, and I've come
back disappointed time and time again. So I use Ubuntu like I used to
use Windows, only it is infinitely "more better" than Windows will
ever be; so I think I've struck a nice balance in my life when it
comes to what systems I use.

> That should be reserved for the steaming pile of excrement that is
> Windows. (I had to reboot my work PC yesterday because I held down
> the Shift key too long and the keyboard stopped responding.)

Oh, I really do *hate* Windows (as in die, die, die), too :)

Brett