[Nolug] Re: NOLUG mailing list bug

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:58:14 -0400

Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> writes:

> My question is, what's this nonsense about encoding plain text? How
> (un)common is that? Can the poker (basher, whatever) change the
> encoding on his device?

I don't have a clue how common it is. Doesn't matter. If I use unicode
characters in this email (an em-dash, special quote characters, or a
smiley face, say) then my mailer will probably encode the message.

Anything above 7 bits is usually encoded.

> Have you tried decoding it to see what plaintext pops out?

Yes. And when I first read the message it worked correctly.

I removed the nolug signature and sent it to my gmail account and it
displayed perfectly. The problem is the mix of encoding.

>> But the real bug is in the mailing list software.
>
> Um...

Sounds like you disagree. But when email says it is base64 encoded (as
his does), it is an error to attach a plain-text signature. Whatever
mailing list software you're using is making that error. It's a bug in
the mailing list software.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/
Every day, mindful practice.  When the mind is disciplined, then the