Re: [Nolug] [Fwd: Network/Systems Engineer -NYC-#2762***REVISED***]

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:16:44 -0600

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Jeremy (mailing list box) <
listbox@unix-boy.com> wrote:

> Shannon Roddy wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <mah@everybody.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>>>
>>> Besides, taxes are outrageously high in NY & NJ, and there are a
>>>>
>>> But what is the effective difference? How many of those “jillion”
>>> things do you actually do in the NOLA metro area?
>>>

>> Well, speaking for myself, I only go to N.O. when it is time to visit
>> family or take care of family obligations. *But*, an hour from N.O. I
>> regularly do lots of things I would not be able to dream of in NY
>> City. Including target shooting in my back yard, flying a private
>> plane without having to go through hours of ATC, etc. The list is
>> pretty endless of what I would not be able to do in NY. ;-)
>>

> Target shooting in your backyard... Let me guess, you don't live within
> an incorporated township or city? Lots cities or townships have laws in
> place that prohibit or limit the discharging of a firearm within city
> limits.
>
> As for the ATC statement... Wouldn't that have more to do with the fact
> that the airspace around NYC is congested? The NYC metro area has three
> major airports (LGA, JFK and EWR) and two of them (EWR and JFK) are two of
> the busiest in the world.
>
> Those two things aren't really because of NY's regulatory climate, but just
> part of living in a megacity...

I would feel so home in New York (with exception of prices for basic
living.)

I was looking some aprtments there some time back, and I was only $1.5M
short. (Though it was in Roosevelt Island)

Staten Island was a lot more affordable, and it is only a free ferry ride
away from Manhattan (where there is no need for car). Even if with car
parking there is only $7/24h, right next to ferry landing.