Re: [Nolug] The worst fix ever

From: Techmaster <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:05:57 -0600

Nope, it affects Windows XP as well. The sad part is it probably took
longer to make that web page with that answer on it, than it would
have taken to just patch the source of chkdsk and recompile it.

I just ran into this exact issue, which is how I found MS's proposed
solution. I instead booted up an Ubuntu Live CD and deleted the files
on the first try. :) Kind of sad that Linux now does NTFS better
than Windows does it. For the longest time, NTFS was read-only in
Linux.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 2010-01-05 15:24, Techmaster wrote:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246026
>>
>> Does anybody else see the problem with this?  Some unimportant files
>> get corrupted, but the fix is to backup, format, and restore
>> everything but the corrupted files?  LOL
>
> To me, that seems a perfectly rational solution.  After all, what should a
> Linux user do if the inode table gets corrupted.
>
> The *real* stupidity is:
>    NTFS supports case-sensitive (POSIX) file names, but Chkdsk does
>    not check file names in case-sensitive mode.
>
> Since this only affects versions up to Win2k, they apparently fixed chkdsk
> for XP.
>
> --
> "Hell hath no fury like the vast robot armies of a woman scorned."
> Walt

Techmaster
http://www.doomsdaytechnologies.com