Re: [Nolug] GMANE mirror?

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:51:13 -0400

Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> writes:

> Now that's all we need... random spam from the intarweb. Thanks, but no
> thanks, unless you can get around the spam issue.

The easiest way to ensure that you continue to get no spam is to make
sure that only members can post to the list.

That said, GMANE does an excellent job with spam control. See
http://www.gmane.org/about.php for Lars explanation of how he handles
it, but here is my experience.

Of course, I read GMANE lists through their NNTP interface, so spam that
is caught after it hits the list is still filtered out.

Just to alleviate your concerns a bit, here are two different mailing
lists with two different ways of handling spam.

    Emacs Devel
      http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel

    CPLUG (Central PA LUG)
      http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.cplug.general

Emacs Devel is completely open, anyone can post and GMANE does not hide
email addresses.

Even still, you can see that it never shows the email address of the
list, except in a CAPTCHA (see
http://gmane.org/list-address.php?group=gmane.emacs.devel) and mailing
lists members email addresses are slightly munged by replacing the @
symbol with “<at>“. (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/123573)

It does allow email to the list via the web, but only after solving a
CAPTCHA and verifying your email address.

You'll notice the GMANE archives of emacs-devel have no spam in them.
This does not mean that no spam ever reached the list, but there are a
number of ways (including crowd-sourcing) that GMANE removes spam from
its archives.

If you look at the CPLUG mailing list, you'll see that GMANE handles
individuals email addresses differently. It translates emails from, say
mah@example.com to mah-SDHSGGHghsdyS@public.gmane.org.

Personally, I *hate* this sort of address munging and would prefer to
avoid it.

> How far back do your mysterious archives go? Further that what I've got?

I doubt it. I was just kidding: it would mean extracting all the NOLUG
email from my archives and I'm just not that interested. I also don't
recall how long I was on the list (back to the 90s, I think?). My email
archive only goes back to 1999 (although I do have a CDROM laying around
which looks like it might hold more).

Hope you guys are ok with the GMANE archive.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/
because of those who look on and do nothing.