Re: [Nolug] X doing something funky

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:47:01 -0700 (PDT)

What does your .xinitrc look like?

If you are running version 4+, then I would run the command line configuration:

# XFree86 -configure (as root)

test it:

# XFree86 -xf86config ~/XF86Config.new

and if that is ok, then make it the system XF86Config file (where ever that is in RH; in FreeBSD,
it is in /etc/X11/)

Also, I am not sure if setting the system up to go into the graphical login is the same as in
FreeBSD, but I would highly suggest you boot into the regular old text prompt and run "startx"
when you wanted to GUI.

Brett

ps:

> The X server was running fine until I restarted it to fix something.

What was it that you did?

--- the Professor <nyghtgolem@bigplanet.com> wrote:
> I have RedHat 7.3 installed on a P2-350.
>
> The X server was running fine until I restarted it to fix something.
>
> After it rebooted, the init process hits runlevel 5 and goes to switch to
> the graphical login and gets no farther. It just sits there and toggles
> back and forth between 2 or 3 video modes. I can occassionally see the text
> login prompt and if I do it quick enough, I can log in and issue an init 3
> command to get it out of runlevel 5.
>
> In runlevel 3 I reconfigured using Xconfigurator and it still doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> the Professor

=====
public BrettDEstrade(){
 this.email="estrabd(at)yahoo(dot)com";
 this.url1="http://www.brettsbsd.net/";
 this.eFax="(253)484-8755";
 this.iM ="YMsg(estrabd),ICQ(46248888),AIM(bz743)";
 this.misc ="A.M.D.G.";
}