Re: [Nolug] X doing something funky

From: the Professor <nyghtgolem_at_bigplanet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:19:34 -0500

> What does your .xinitrc look like?
>
> If you are running version 4+, then I would run the command line
configuration:

> # XFree86 -configure (as root)

Is this a different utility than XConfigurator?

> test it:
>
> # XFree86 -xf86config ~/XF86Config.new

> and if that is ok, then make it the system XF86Config file (where ever
that is in RH; in FreeBSD,
> it is in /etc/X11/)
>
> Also, I am not sure if setting the system up to go into the graphical
login is the same as in
> FreeBSD, but I would highly suggest you boot into the regular old text
prompt and run "startx"
> when you wanted to GUI.

This is the way it used to be, but I am used to starting in runlevel 5 now,
so I kinda want to get it back to normal

> Brett
>
> ps:
>
> > The X server was running fine until I restarted it to fix something.
>
> What was it that you did?

The hard disk was entirely full, so I went in and deleted the 400+ mb of
root mail, and then (after recreating the mail file) started the mail
program to verify that they were gone and it froze. Hard lockup.

~