Re: [Nolug] X doing something funky

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:37:44 -0700 (PDT)

That is the built in command line configuration tool for version 4. It works very well as far as
I am concerned..

Also, when you deleted the root mail, did you delete it, ie "rm", the file, or did you clean it
out. Maybe it is freaking out because it can't find your Inbox or some other needed file...dunno.

Brett

--- the Professor <nyghtgolem@bigplanet.com> wrote:
> > What does your .xinitrc look like?
> >
> > If you are running version 4+, then I would run the command line
> configuration:
> >
> > # XFree86 -configure (as root)
>
> Is this a different utility than XConfigurator?
>
> > test it:
> >
> > # XFree86 -xf86config ~/XF86Config.new
>
> > and if that is ok, then make it the system XF86Config file (where ever
> that is in RH; in FreeBSD,
> > it is in /etc/X11/)
> >
> > Also, I am not sure if setting the system up to go into the graphical
> login is the same as in
> > FreeBSD, but I would highly suggest you boot into the regular old text
> prompt and run "startx"
> > when you wanted to GUI.
>
> This is the way it used to be, but I am used to starting in runlevel 5 now,
> so I kinda want to get it back to normal
>
> > Brett
> >
> > ps:
> >
> > > The X server was running fine until I restarted it to fix something.
> >
> > What was it that you did?
>
> The hard disk was entirely full, so I went in and deleted the 400+ mb of
> root mail, and then (after recreating the mail file) started the mail
> program to verify that they were gone and it froze. Hard lockup.
>
> ~

=====
public BrettDEstrade(){
 this.email="estrabd(at)yahoo(dot)com";
 this.url1="http://www.brettsbsd.net/";
 this.eFax="(253)484-8755";
 this.iM ="YMsg(estrabd),ICQ(46248888),AIM(bz743)";
 this.misc ="A.M.D.G.";
}