Re: [Nolug] Need a little help, server side :)

From: James Hess <mysidia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:14:17 -0500

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Curtis "cSc" Smith
<kman922002@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, earlier today, I got bored and decided "Hey, i'm going to bash as root
> and snoop through other user's Firefox history". After browsing all my

As long as Firefox is your only installed browser, you could use a
browser plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4351/

You can also use global 'enforced configurations' in Firefox by
setting up firefox.cfg to enforce or prevent use of proxy server(s),
For example, you could install Squid + Squidguard locally, and use
an enforced config to make Firefox use that proxy.

You can also use setup iptables rules to block outgoing connections,
and then use the 'owner' module to allow the squid/root/certain
UIDs. eg
iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner 0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner squid -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 1:1024 -j REJECT

Most user browser preferences are written to their prefs.js, and
most preferences can be locked.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Automatic_Mozilla_Configurator/Locked_config_settings

Or just to plain lock down other settings

try {
lockPref("network.proxy.type", 0);
lockPref("config.lockdown.disable_extensions", true);
lockPref("xpinstall.enabled, false);
} catch(e){
displayError("lockedPref", e);
}