Re: [Nolug] Mac OS X to make an appearance at the next meeting.... maybe.

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 04 Nov 2002 02:38:04 -0600

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 22:53, bad-magic-number wrote:

> > On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 14:29, bad-magic-number wrote:
> >
> > If 90% of you time is at the shell, then why not get a 2GHz x86 box?
> > For the same $2,499 cost of the "Faster" G4 box, you could stuff a
> > whole lot into a clone box...
>
> Well, I'm trying to break that habit, but only for OS X. I'll gladly stick to the shell
> for OpenBSD and Linux.
>
> > http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/53/wo/
> HYqVr1S9nkI5ays88V2/0.3.0.3.27.37.1.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?110,72
> >
> > If the choice was only between OSX and Wintel, the choice would
> > be difficult, but with Linux & *BSD running on x86, how does
> > OSX perform substantially better, except in niche markets?
>
> Better chips under the hood.

Well, I do know that AltiVec *screams* when doing brute-force RC5-64
code cracking...

If the Hammer ever comes to market, it's going to smoke all of them.
(Literally, if you don't bathe it in Freon.)

> That, and I need that platform for OS 9.2.2 for use
> with music software I'll be using. Intels perform poorly when
> dealing with more than a few digital channels of audio when mixed.

In other words, the other 10%.

Is it the Intel processor that doesn't handle many digital channels,
or is or the ancient PC architecture?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |