RE: [Nolug] Mac OS X to make an appearance at the next meeting.... maybe.

From: Pietu <plaihonen_at_uno.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:48:11 -0600

> Better chips under the hood. That, and I need that platform for
> OS 9.2.2 for use
> with music software I'll be using. Intels perform poorly when
> dealing with more
> than a few digital channels of audio when mixed.

That must be then the audio software used.

A friend of mine makes music and not so long time ago he recorder *LIVE*
8-tracks simultaneously with his laptop, 800 Mhz IBM. Not a single glitch or
dropped frames. (He can use his multiple channel inputs on a go even with
the car batteries. Nice little setup.) I believe he was using Nuendo, one of
many multi-track audio softwares. This same audio software takes AVID
standard .omf files in and plays back video preview, while playing back
multiple tracks of audio.

Yes, motorola chips for mac's are now 1.25 Gh (equivalent to about 1.5 Gh
intel and a bit lower AMD.) That is the top. Where as intel and AMD are but
going over 3 Gh already. (or by the end of the year) And very soon to 4 Gh.

AVID, de facto on video and film editing, abandoned their long time favorite
mac platform due to not enough bus speed on the motherboards and lowsy
networking capabilities. Two uncompressed video streams require a bunch of
bandwidth. Now their 3 or 4 highest end systems come only on a PC. (standard
PC's from IBM or Compaq) They recently released the AVID Xpress DV 3.5 which
works on both platforms as it is software only solution. (runs fine on 800
Mhz PC laptop playing back real-time compositing effects etc...)

Video editing on mac platform. Only viable solution could be FinalCut pro
3.0 if it would not use quicktime as it's base. (drops frames by default) QT
v.6 could be better, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. They also
advertise strongly for FinalCut to be able to handle High-Definition video
editing also. hmm... They forgot to mention that you have to buy tens of
thousands of dollars worth hardware in order to do it. :o)

This is part of what I know about the hardware. Anything new?

Have to go to work. We are making movies. (Runaway Jury)

Petri