Re: [Nolug] [nolug] topic for novemb

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 05 Nov 2002 00:09:17 -0600

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 21:50, the Professor wrote:
> That isn't the problem. I just need to learn how to share out the modem for
> dial on demand and then I can figure out how to do the rest. I have 3

I think what you want is diald.

> machines here that are well powered for cpu and memory, so the firewall can
> be setup on one of them if I wish. If I was really desperate, I would take
> my old MSDOS 6.22 machine and turn it into a firewall. Right now I keep
> that one to play Frontier Elite!

Someone correct me, but isn't it the conventional wisdom that "co-
locating" the firewall on a workstation or server is a security
risk? The logic goes that if the cracker breaks onto the stand-alone
firewall, then he still must ssh onto internal nodes (you've removed
telnetd from all machines, right??), but if he breaks onto the fire-
wall, and it's your workstation, then he's on a powerful box with
all of your data...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |