Re: [Nolug] freshmeat.net: DeLi Linux 0.1

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 05 Nov 2002 00:00:48 -0600

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 19:34, Dave Prentice wrote:
> Joey,
> This is wonderful! One of the problems I've had at my school is
> that distros such as Redhat now require well over a gig of hard drive
> space, which is far more than is available on most of these old
> donated machines. Now maybe I can set up a bunch as standalones.

1 word: Debian. Minimum for CLI operation is 12MB RAM and 400MB HDD.
The latest version (3.0) still supports kernel 2.2.x and X 3.3.6.

Note that DeLi is still beta, and Debian is solid. With a little bit
of work (a Debian-geek on this ML could help you), you can create a
mirror on your server of *only* the packages you desire, then do a
net-install from each station (with automatic recursive package
installation).

> Thanks for the tip.
> Dave Prentice
> prentice@instruction.com
> http://www.originsresource.org

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |