[Nolug] Samba sharing

From: Clint Billedeaux <clint_at_fastbadge.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 09:34:53 -0500

Wow,

I promise I'm not this dense a majority of the time. Starting a new email
with a new subject totally didn't cross my mind until you said it. I just
hit the reply button. Not the best way to introduce myself to a group
right?

Starting from the moment I initially tried to share a folder on the nixbox:

I just right clicked the folder, set it to share, Ubuntu said it had to set
permissions, OK.
Went to one Windows machine and I could read/write.
I was happy, but I need this to work for 14 different Windows machines.

I went to the second windows machine.

NO PERMISSION. ASK ADMINISTRATOR.

I stopped being happy. Read a little more about access problems. Installed
a GUI samba config program and went to work setting permissions, inputting
network IPs.

Checked access again.

Now I can't read/write from anywhere but I can see the nixbox.
More reading. more configuring. More Samba apps (total:3).
Now I can read/write folders I didn't set access for on my own. something
was wrong with my smb.conf.
Start from scratch. copied and pasted a basic smb.conf file to my file.
Now none of my machines see the nixbox.

I'm willing to start from scratch. I've tied the box into a pretzel over
this and I have no problem with the idea of formatting and reinstalling. I
just want to get pointed to the right how-to docs so I can get this up and
running.

and does the group actually meet at CCs in Metairie?

Thanks,
Clint