Re: [Nolug] They say that no good turn goes unpunished...

From: Clint Billedeaux <clint_at_fastbadge.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:00:35 -0500

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Jerry Wilborn <jerrywilborn@gmail.com>wrote:

> Yeah, I think it's useful to separate Wales from Wikipedia. In an opinion
> piece (
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704107104574572101333074122.html)
> attributed to Jimmy Wales he says "Everyone who is online should have a
> sense of accountability and responsibility."
>
> Regarding Zuckerberg, while he has no issue playing fast and loose with
> user data to make a buck, he made clear his view that you should have a
> single online identity that you carry around: "Having two identities for
> yourself is an example of a lack of integrity." (
> http://venturebeat.com/2010/<http://venturebeat.com/2010/05/13/zuckerberg-privacy/>

of course it's a lack of integrity and since the integrity of the data is a
factor in determining its value, ole Zuckerbugg depends on the single
identity to make his data valuable. You can't capitalize on anonymous users
or shaky identities. Regardless of the flourishing rhetoric one may use to
make some ethical, moral, or even legal argument about identities...it
devolves in all cases to the dollar (not saying that's a bad thing, dollars
are how I pay my bills too). At least, God's never come down from his
throne and said, "let me take care of that for you." (Not discounting the
potential of divine influence on my ability to collect dollars...just saying
the mortgage company probably wouldn't accept his word as payment is all.)

> 05/13/zuckerberg-privacy/<http://venturebeat.com/2010/05/13/zuckerberg-privacy/>)
> To which Poole, while at SXSW, claimed would cost us the "innocence of
> youth".
>
> I'd argue that anonymity and accountability are mutually exclusive, and
> that Wales and Zuckerberg share a similar views. If I had to put Asange in
> a group, I'd say he's with Poole/Newmark.

anonymity, accountability....yeah...still about the dollars.