Re: [Nolug] Fwd: We need a Cisco Wi-Fi "go to" Engineer for an ongoing project in your area.

From: Clint Billedeaux <clint_at_fastbadge.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:19:04 -0500

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM, brent saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Scott Cotton <scott@nscotton.com> wrote:
>
>> To be honest any questions in reference to 1099 forms and other financial
>> questions should be directed to a attorney or a accountant.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Petri Laihonen <pietu@weblizards.net>wrote:
>>
>>> I see....
>>> So it was just confusing to me to see the "Pay rate" indicated as a tax
>>> form. Especially since there are pay rate categories, like with government
>>> stuff. The categories have certain names numbers or letters (I think it was
>>> letters) which in turn can be associated with the actual pay rate.
>>>
>>> And yes. I do appreciate job postings. At any day I might need one
>>> addition to the ones I already have.

> I don't want to revive any flame war or anything, but this is relevant AND
> helpful:
>

> http://www.infoworld.com/t/information-technology-careers/7-dirty-consultant-tricks-and-how-avoid-them-165

This to me is VERY different from a job posting that states pays 1099. With
these types of jobs, there's a bidding process. You get an idea of the
scope of the project, you have a brief period to make your proposal, and the
company accepts or rejects your proposal based on their own criteria. And
yes, there's what is very near the equivalent of contractor fraud coursing
through the veins of these jobs.

Conversely, many 1099 job postings are very much more akin to an employment
situation where the contractor is treated like a short-term full/overfull
time employee. Materials are dictated, times and dates of presence are
dictated, sometimes tools are dictated...and in fact, the IRS has a place to
determine if you are by its definition working as a 1099c or as an employee.
 If you match enough of the employee keypoints and you fill out a short form
with the IRS, then the company you contracted with would be looking at one
hell of an audit. The IRS will crawl all up in and out of their business
practices looking for pennies out of place.