Re: [Nolug] Why you shouldn't be afraid of asking geeks about taxes and the law

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:37:50 -0400

Scott Cotton <scott@nscotton.com> writes:

> Just because you go to a website and read some information about taxes
> etc.. does not make you an instant expert. An expert will find stuff
> that you missed or just plan didn't see. =)

I agree that experts are not something that happens instantly. If you
need an authority on a subject, you would ask someone who spends a good
deal of their time doing whatever it is you're curious about. But most
times curiosity does not require a professional to answer it.

A hobbiest or amateur (from the Latin for “lover”) can can also be an
authority on any given subject. Just because someone's knowledge does
not come from being paid to learn it doesn't make their knowledge less
useful.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/
War begins by calling for the annihilation of the Other,