Re: [Nolug] Why you shouldn't be afraid of asking geeks about taxes and the law

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 22:40:32 -0400 (EDT)

"Clint Billedeaux" <clint@fastbadge.com> writes:
>> A hobbiest or amateur (from the Latin for “lover”) can can also be an
>> authority on any given subject. Just because someone's knowledge does
>> not come from being paid to learn it doesn't make their knowledge less
>> useful.

> True. Very true. It makes it free or less expensive at best, and prone
> to the flaws of never having to be fiscally responsible for errors and
> omissions at worst.

If you ask someone for help or information and your use of that help or
information could cost you money, then, yes, you should make sure that either
a) you can sue them for the bad advice or b) you're willing to suck it up.

A paid tax preparer can be held liable up to a point and will often
include some sort of promise in their contract with you. Your friend helping
you with taxes isn't liable.

VITA tax prep helpers are certified by the IRS and are exempt from
prosecution.

Ultimately, though, *you* are responsible for making sure your tax
form is filled out correctly. There are limits to the accountant's
liability. You shouldn't assume that you are protected just
because you paid someone to do your taxes.

And, just for effect, I'll put IANAL here. This is not legal advice.
You use it at your own risk. Buyer beware.

--
http://hexmode.com/
War begins by calling for the annihilation of the Other,