Re: [Nolug] "Debian kFreeBSD is a toy OS, people really shouldn't misunderstand that"

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:40:29 -0500

On 07/16/2011 03:47 PM, B. Estrade wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 01:37:52PM -0500, Joey Kelly wrote:
>> http://bsd.slashdot.org/story/11/07/16/0020243/Lennart-Poettering-BSD-Isnt-Relevant-Anymore?utm_source=rss1.0&utm_medium=feed
>>
>> What I've been saying all along (about BSDebian).
>
> All this sounds like flame bait to me. Debian kFreeBSD is GNU userland
> on top of the FreeBSD kernel, which is clearly just one of those
> things you do to see if it can be done. I read the interview TFA
> links, and it sounds to me like this has more to do with the desktop
> and tired old Linux zealotry.

Sadly, though, kFreeBSD *is* just a hobby-toy, and the free BSDs *are*
irrelevant on the *desktop*. (Note the emphasis on the word "desktop",
though it's probably just a niche in the server world, too.)

Not that Linux has that much of a market share either, but that's
another topic.

--
Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification