Re: [Nolug] "Debian kFreeBSD is a toy OS, people really shouldn't misunderstand that"

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 19:08:57 -0400

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> Sadly, though, kFreeBSD *is* just a hobby-toy, and the free BSDs *are*
> irrelevant on the *desktop*. (Note the emphasis on the word "desktop",
> though it's probably just a niche in the server world, too.)

Sure, Desktops vs Servers. So how does *BSD do on the server front?

The survey data I found for servers was from 2009, but *BSD was not that
high up on the list.

NetCraft's 2009 SSL survey
(https://ssl.netcraft.com/ssl-sample-report/CMatch/osdv_all) shows all
BSD at less than 4% of all SSL servers.

A survey by Security Space of “OS/Linux Distributions using Apache”
(https://secure1.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200907/apacheos.html)
found that FreeBSD ran on just over 5% of Apache servers.

Various statistics referenced on Wikipedia show *BSD at less than 5% of
the server market:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Servers

And those are just the facts. If you want to read something really
offensive, slashdot is the poor man's troll. Uncyclopedia is a pro:
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/BSD_is_Dying

(I say that as someone who works at the place that Uncyclopedia loves to
hate the most.)

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/
War begins by calling for the annihilation of the Other,