Re: [Nolug] "Debian kFreeBSD is a toy OS, people really shouldn't misunderstand that"

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 02:59:03 -0500

On 07/17/2011 01:31 AM, Jeremy wrote:
> On 7/16/2011 6:08 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>>
>>> Sadly, though, kFreeBSD *is* just a hobby-toy, and the free BSDs *are*
>>> irrelevant on the *desktop*. (Note the emphasis on the word "desktop",
>>> though it's probably just a niche in the server world, too.)
>>
>> Sure, Desktops vs Servers. So how does *BSD do on the server front?
>>

> -snip-
>
>> (I say that as someone who works at the place that Uncyclopedia loves to
>> hate the most.)
>>
>> Mark.
>>

> As long as my choices are never only Windows OR Linux on commodity
> hardware, I don't care what market share *BSD has. Any Linux
> user/hacker/zealot that is happy about the prospect that *BSD is
> dying/dead/irrelevant has taken a position totally contrary to what the
> whole Free and Open Source schtick is about.
>
> I guess some in the Linux world are adopting the Microsoft mentality.
>
> "You are free to use open source if you want, as long as it is Linux."

I certainly am not *happy* that the open BSDs are irrelevant, and I
didn't get that sense from the original article.

OTOH, also I'm not *sad* that the open BSDs are irrelevant. They just
have no impact on my computing life. (I guess that's the definition of
"irrelevant"...)

--
Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification