Re: [Nolug] "Debian kFreeBSD is a toy OS, people really shouldn't misunderstand that"

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:13:30 -0500

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 12:18:01PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/17/2011 11:42 AM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >Knee-jerk, religious pro-Linux attitudes are just as bad as knee-jerk,
> >religious anti-Microsoft attitudes so many in the free software world
> >

> Are such anti-MSFT attitudes still *real* in 2011, or do BSD Lovers just
> trot this out as part of their sour grapes defensiveness?

Hmmmmmm. Haven't you heard? Linux is for people who hate M$; *BSD is for
people who LOVE Unix. I don't care if I am one of 5 people using FreeBSD, I am
happy being righteously indignant about loving it.

That said, this dude in the OP clearly doesn't know anything about operating
systems. As it's been pointed out, BSD and Linux are both "toys" compared to
commercial grade Unix operating systems. However, an application programmer is
really in no position to call any OS project a "toy" - even so called "hobby"
OSes (e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems#Hobby), which
are as complex and mind numbing in their minutia as any big iron OS.

I can tell you that I prefer FreeBSD as a server because it's straightforward
to set up and easy to maintain - for most purposes, anyway. That and, oh yeah,
*BSDs are full operating systems (userland + kernel), whereas Linux is *just*
a kernel with a communistic userland slapped on for good measure <grin>.

Regarding desktops, I use different OSes for different machines. For a non-Mac
desktop I do *prefer* FreeBSD. For a non-Mac laptop, I prefer Ubuntu, but only
because I don't want to mess with wireless or sounds <grin>. By and large,
however, I prefer Mac laptops because it's just so much nicer than any Linux
distro could be. I have to run Windows for browser testing, so I am happy
using virtual box or vmware for this purpose. Beyond that, there is nothing I
need Windows for. I don't play games either, so that helps.

I have been working on a shiny new Mac desktop at work, and I must admit, it's
not too bad - though I am in the terminal 99% of the time - most of that time
spent on other machines. This is how I'd be using a FreeBSD desktop, too - so I
guess now you know why I am more than happy with FreeBSD as a desktop :).....

Brett

u>