Re: [Nolug] Is there such a thing as an Ethernet hub which is so

From: Curtis Smith <kman922002_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 04:37:43 -0600

On 11/27/2011 4:05 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> small that it can sip power from "regular" Ethernet?
>
> The problem is that where I have one RJ-45 Ethernet jack, I need to
> plug in two devices.
>
> Yes, I could connect a cheap 5-port hub, but that requires Yet Another
> Wall Wart and Yet Another Little Box On The Desk.
>
> Yes, there's Power Over Ethernet, but then (a) you're talking serious
> coin and (b) that just move the Little Box and Wall Wart from point A
> to point B.
>
> Thanks

There's always modifications you can do to the Ethernet cable itself to
transfer PoE, along with the hub. Regret to mention it, but I think I
saw Hak5 doing a segment on powering a the old blue linksys routers via
PoE. Not entirely expensive if its for personal use, but yeah, probably
serious coin for commercial installations.