Re: [Nolug] Is there such a thing as an Ethernet hub which is so

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:54:00 -0600

Curtis Smith wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 4:05 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> small that it can sip power from "regular" Ethernet?
>>
>> The problem is that where I have one RJ-45 Ethernet jack, I need to
>> plug in two devices.
>>
>> Yes, I could connect a cheap 5-port hub, but that requires Yet
>> Another Wall Wart and Yet Another Little Box On The Desk.
>>
>> Yes, there's Power Over Ethernet, but then (a) you're talking serious
>> coin and (b) that just move the Little Box and Wall Wart from point A
>> to point B.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> There's always modifications you can do to the Ethernet cable itself
> to transfer PoE, along with the hub. Regret to mention it, but I think
> I saw Hak5 doing a segment on powering a the old blue linksys routers
> via PoE. Not entirely expensive if its for personal use, but yeah,
> probably serious coin for commercial installations.

I would think that if you're lucky you could put 5V on the brown pair,
which would enable you to move said wall wart.

You could also theoretically mangle your cable to use both sets of
pairs, and get an extra jack where you need it.

Third option: does one of the boxes run Linux? Stick an extra NIC in it
and do bridging for your other box.

--Joey