[Nolug] I love Microsoft

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:15:40 -0600

As a condition of employment, my company sometimes has me do Sharepoint
programming. I also get to do other interesting work with Perl, Asterisk
and random network layers when not otherwise occupied.

I have been working lately on a request list in Sharepoint for a client,
and everything worked fine in our tests, so we began rolling out the
list to the various users of the system. Almost immediately we began
seeing strange errors, some of which had to do with incomplete Oracle/AD
migration issues in years past, but those were identified and cleaned
up. However, for a week we pounded our heads over a series of workflow
failures which all happened at the approval stage. We discovered quite
by accident this afternoon what the culprit was. It turns out that when
supervisors clicked the approval links in Outlook, those who sensibly
had set their default browser to Firefox, the approval item failed and
the workflow errored out. Every time.

Our solution? Ask the approvers to reset their PC's default browser back
to IE.

The real solution? If Sharepoint can't work with non-IE browsers,
Microsoft programmers should have coded a browser-detect and displayed a
warning stating such.

Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant
http://joeykelly.net
504-239-6550