Re: [Nolug] Web-based ticket systems

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:03:54 -0500

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 04:43:51PM -0400, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> On 6/21/2012 4:23 PM, Mischa D. Krilov wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm looking around for a trouble ticket system and I want to solicit
> > your opinions. Does anyone have any notably good or bad experiences?
>
> I've used Bugzilla, RT, Trac, and (now) Mantis.
>
> I'm pretty familiar with the JSONRPC api for Bugzilla and I'm starting
> to get familiar with its innards.
>
> RT is nice, but not as easy to pick up and not as widely used. One of
> my friends works for Best Practical in case you want any inside information.
>
> Trac is (from my limited experience) pretty anemic.
>
> Mantis looks interesting and may be comparable to Bugzilla, but I
> because of familiarity, I would recommend Bugzilla. Mantis does look
> more extensible as far as fields and such, though.

I guess it would be good to also point out what they're written in.
Bugzilla, OTRS, and RT are Perl. Mantis is PHP. There are others out
there written in PHP; I think that's about it for those written in
Perl.

I have noticed a trend that a lot of pretty nifty apps for this are
written in Ruby. Redmine, for example - though that's more of a
project management application than a what you're looking for.

Brett