Re: [Nolug] Directv demise

From: Joey Kelly <geek_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: 16 Dec 2002 10:15:01 -0600

1. Where you been all weekend? We've had 100+ posts about this very
subject!

2. Unless you live out in the woods and have no other choice, I strongly
disourage anyone from using I55. They have a really bad track record and
I've never heard anything nice said about them, ever. Plus, I
interviewed with them 2 years ago and they didn't seem like a company I
wanted to work for.

Southern Star (local, email John Souvestre about it), Speakeasy and, um,
I forget who else seemed to be safe bets for what you want to do.

--Joey

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 10:15, Carlos wrote:
> It looks like with the demise of Directv we are all scrambling for a new
> DSL provider. I've had Directv for more than three years without
> experiencing any problems and kind of get used to it. I really liked
> the easy setup, and the fact that I could use a Linux server to
> masquerade as many PC as I wanted for the same price. I don't know if
> I'll be able to find some other provider that will let me do that!! I
> have a small VPN using SuSE Linux 8.1 that is working fine with Directv.
> Now I don't know if I'll be able to find some other provider that will
> let me do the same thing without having to pay extra bucks for the fixed
> IP address needed for VPN. The way I see it with Cox aggressively
> marketing broad band, and Bell South chocking up the "last mile" soon
> there will be no choice.
>
> Has anyone had experience with I55?
>
> Carlos

Linux consultant in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
http://kellynet.dhs.org
---
missions newsletter:
http://joeykelly.net/ministry/newsletter/november2002.php