Re: [Nolug] E-T sending messages

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 18 Dec 2002 21:54:19 -0600

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 15:27, Joey Kelly wrote:
> >Unless you have the energy of a star, wouldn't the RF energy get
> >disipated (in a cubic manner) over the trillions of miles, if you
> >broadcast it out?
> >

> Right.
>
> Anyone up to calculating how far a million-watt radio signal has to travel
> before it gets lost in the noise floor? The closest star to our system is 4
> light years away, and the closest one with any kind of planet at all is like
> 10 light years distant. Could a 1e6-watt beam be detected out that far?

And since we see where the star was 10 years ago, you'd have to aim
the beam to where it will be, along the curve of the universe, 20 years
from where you see it now.

But then again, brute-force cracking the RC5 algorithm is pretty
useless, too, since noone who *really* wants to crack the cypher
will use brute force, but will use custome hardware, and smash it
in a fraction of the time...

Anyone know of gene analysis or protein folding, where the results
will be put in the public domain?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."    |
|    Socrates                                                   |