Re: RE:[2] [Nolug] Rc5-72 contest....

From: Dave Prentice <prentice_at_instruction.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:42:07 -0600

From: bad-magic-number <bad-magic-number@eternity-technologies.net>
To: nolug@joeykelly.net <nolug@joeykelly.net>
On the date of 12/18/2002 12:08:25 PM , Ron Johnson
<ron.l.johnson@cox.net
>> spoke:
>>Instead of searching cosmic static for non-existant aliens, the
rc5-72
>>project from http://www.distributed.net uses the same concept (hence
>>the name) to use brute force to do mathematical-type things.
>That's a bit presumptuous... Live undeniably exists outside our
Solar
>System based on mathematical probability... To say something only
>happened in one place in a universe this size would be pure folly.
>And it may very well be intelligent, but:
>1. We might not find it since we can only see a sliver of the sky at
>Arecibo... 2. We may not know what to look for since the maybe very
>well be more advanced than us. We are cosmic infants as Homo Sapiens
>are a young species.
>And of course life outside our Solar System might very well not be as
>intelligent as us...
>Its a big universe and ludicrous to think we are singular and
"special"
>in a cosmic sense.....

Wow, talk about off-topic! Of course, you didn't mention that you are
starting with an unprovable philosophical assumption about the reason
for the universe's existence. If there is no reason, then it is
equally likely that life could exist anywhere. If there is a reason
determined by an almighty God who created everything (Eph. 3:9-10),
then there might not be a need for other populated planets. Neither
assumption - purpose or no purpose - can be proven. It's all a matter
of faith.
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com
http://www.originsresource.org